Sunday, April 15, 2007

Mary Cheh Emulates NY In The Worst Way

As the article on Joshua Bell being totally ignored by DC commuters showed that we are not New York, our council members pushed legislation to make us like New York in the worst way. Specifically, Ward 3 council member Mary Cheh has proposed legislation to ban trans-fats in the District. I would link to a Wa Post story, but there isn't one, as the Wa Post doesn't really cover District news. Sadly, I only read about this ban proposal in the Northwest Current, which is not available online. A quote:
Cheh says, "We are not getting any thinner."
Then the one-sided article goes onto quote the bane of freedom called the Center for Science in the Public Interest. Those guys would have us all living in plastic bubbles eating tofu while wearing helmets and never drinking or smoking. I totally despise them, and I don't despise many things, but they should be thrown out of our country as they have no idea what freedom means or what our country means.

Please, fellow DCists, write your council members to oppose this idiocy. Unfortunately, Cheh had four co-sponsors. We can assume sell-out Catania will also convert and our only hope is Schwarz.

PS can I tell you how disenfranchised I feel? Not only do I not have a congressional vote, but for the past four months I don't even have a ward rep. Even worse, Kathy Patterson, in some back room political move, agreed to shave off of my part of Ward 3 to annex with Ward 4, which is a mile across the park and we have no streets in common or anything else. So I am in this little sliver of nothingness in Chevy Chase annexed to a Ward with completely different issues and radical politics.

They could have done the redistricting in a much more logical/neighborhood way, taking some away from Ward 2 and moving them into 3. Wards should represent neighborhoods that are contiguous. Ugh.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home