Thursday, June 15, 2006

Oh Now I Understand!

Well, one of the anonymous commenters, to my post on my confusion as to why the Gertrude Stein Club would endorse of Linda Cropp for Mayor considering she doesn't support marriage equality, pointed me to a Washington Blade article. In the words of the anonymous commenter: "The truth is that Cropp DOES support gay marriage, and the evidence is in black and white in this week's Washington Blade."

Well I went to the Blade article and now I totally understand. Linda Cropp has lots of positions on marriage equality - it just depends on who you ask, when you ask, and where you ask.

According to the Blade:

Cropp did not raise the subject of gay marriage during her remarks before more than 200 people who turned out for the Stein Club endorsement meeting. But after the meeting, Cropp said Rosenstein misrepresented her views on gay marriage.

"People know that I support gay marriage personally, that I always have, that I have not had any problem with it personally at all," Cropp said.


She said the objections she has raised to backing gay marriage have been based solely on her concern that a vocal discussion and debate on the issue in D.C. would prompt the Republican-controlled Congress to pass legislation to prohibit the city from passing a gay marriage bill in the future. Cropp also expressed concern that Congress might overturn the city's domestic partnership law as a result of a public debate over gay marriage.

...


When Cropp ran for re-election to her Council chair seat in 2002, she told the Gay & Lesbian Activists Alliance in response the group's candidate questionnaire that she wasn't ready to support same-sex marriage.

"Although I am not at the point where I would support the legal recognition of marriage between partners of the same sex, I remain open to explore the issue further," she stated in her questionnaire response.

Cropp added that she opposes anti-gay marriage legislation in D.C. and other states and would oppose efforts to ban D.C. from recognizing same-sex marriages performed in other states.

Last November, Cropp told the Blade that her response to the 2002 GLAA questionnaire reflected her current position on gay marriage.

The following month, in December 2005, the Washington Post reported that Cropp told members of the city's Missionary Baptist Ministers Conference during a mayoral forum that she did not support same-sex marriage.

"I did not say that," Cropp said after the Stein Club meeting. "That is an absolute misrepresentation of it, and I did not say that at all."


Well that certainly clears everything up doesn't it? Linda Cropp another political profile in courage.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home