Friday, July 21, 2006

In Praise of Fenty's Crime Vote

Let me begin by admitting that I haven't been kind to any of the Democratic candidates running for Mayor this year. On taxation, spending, real reform, etc I haven't seen much day light between the group. I will, however, give credit where credit is due. Councilman Adrian Fenty, one of the Mayoral front-runners, deserves a large dose of credit for his principled vote against the Mayor's so-called crime package.

I have made my thoughts on this crime package clear - I think it stinks. In my earlier post on this subject I said:

The Mayor fundamentally doesn't get it. The failing DC bureaucracy needs reform from top to bottom. It doesn't need more of our tax dollars, nor should residents be asked to sacrifice their civil liberties just because the MPD can't do its job.

Given my thoughts on this subject I was obviously pleased to read that Fenty had voted against this ridiculous, knee-jerk proposal. I was even more pleased to read Fenty's spot-on criticism of it... From The Post:

Fenty, who along with Chairman Linda W. Cropp (D) is a front-runner in the mayoral race, said that it was a "knee-jerk" bill and that the city's elected leadership instead needs to demand more of the city's police department.

"I agree there is a spike in crime, but what the community needs the most is much better policing of the neighborhoods," Fenty said.

Councilman Fenty is absolutely right to have broken ranks with the rest of the chicken little Council on this worthless crime bill. What we need is an MPD that does its job. What we need is an MPD who doesn't "collectively bargain" away its responsibility to serve and protect the citizens of the District. What we need is a police chief who actually has a clue.

Kudos to Adrian Fenty for doing the right thing.

2 Comments:

Blogger Jessica said...

I am happy Fenty did this. But, being Fenty, he also proposes a host of social programs as a solution to the "underlying roots of crime."

11:52 AM  
Blogger ChrisBarronDC said...

Unfortunately Leonardo you are right. Of course, that seems to be the answer for all of the Democratic mayoral candidates.

1:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home