Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Sidewalks Finally!

It seems like a basic urban amenity, but most of my neighborhood has no sidewalks, so we walk in the street, strollers and individuals, dodging cars. WTF?

Well DC is finally putting sidewalks into my neighborhood!

As a Republican environmentalist who doesn't want my gas-guzzling sports car seized in the near future, I frequently walk the mile to Connecticut Ave to get provisions. When DC announced its pedestrian-friendly initiative I had to laugh, as most of my walk is in the road, which is not exactly safe. Guests of mine with kids were horrified, as we would all be out in the road dodging cars with strollers.

The most basic purpose of government is exactly what is happening: to pave the sidewalks and the streets. Anyway today I, who pay tens of thousands per year in District taxes, finally saw something coming back to me, in the form of sidewalks. I still have a huge pot hole in front of my house and please, Adrian Fenty, fix our road before we have to fill it ourselves with gravel, which we are plotting to do. But at least we finally got something back.

1 Comments:

Blogger ChrisBarronDC said...

And to think that people believe that we limited government types are never happy with the government :)

You are spot on though, I count on the government to do very, very little - catch bad guys and pave my roads is about all i trust them to do.

5:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home